The Applied Polymer Technology (APT) Gateway is an interdisciplinary technology gateway focused on all aspects of polymer research. Collaboration with industry is a distinctive attribute of the Technology gateway. APT is also superbly equipped with an array of the most up to date and sophisticated analytical equipment including SEM, DSC, FTIR, XRD, GPC, HPLC, etc., as well as a variety of large scale processing equipment (extruders, injection moulders, blow moulders, etc).
By actively engaging in technology development, the APT Gateway produces both scientific knowledge and technology outputs across a range of polymer streams. The collaboration of researchers with industry is seen as one of the best ways of a successful commercialisation of research. Working with other like-minded companies or exploring what knowledge exists in the Gateway network could have substantial economic value for industry partners.
APT engages with industry partners via several platforms:
- Contract research / development
- Short term projects to develop solutions to specific problems or develop clearly identified technologies.
- Commercialisation of APT developed technology offerings
- Long term development projects with industry partners to investigate innovative technologies / materials with identified industrial applications.
- Pilot and Production scale Injection Moulding, Blow Moulding, Thermoforming, Extrusion and Compounding lines
- Advanced Analytical Facilities for materials research, testing and troubleshooting
- Design, Rapid Prototyping and Micro-Moulding Capabilities
Sean Lyons, APT Gateway Manager
Find out more about the Technology Gateways Programme.